Rotors, rotors, rotors

Simple question for you rain drivers out there:  Every disc brake car I've
ever owned has freaked me out on occasion during highway rain driving.  It
seems a layer of water must build up between pad and rotor, causing a brief
but frightening absence of brake power.
Question 1: Is this normal?
Question 2: Do slotted rotors make this go away?
Question 3: Can I take my rotors to a machine shop and have them grooved
without worrying about screwing 'em up?

Darren
83 GTV6