SPICA Update and Air Pump Question(s)

Many thanks to Brian Shorey for his patience and help in my learning how to change the SPICA filter and re-fill the oil without moving the currently headless engine. The filter is done and ready to button up.

I fully enjoyed the thread on air pumps and now would like some info or opinons on the specifics for my car. I removed the air pump from the car to change the SPICA filter and wonder if I need to re-install it. I know I don't HAVE to install it, but I want to be as clean as reasonable and still have fun driving the car.

The air pump thread indicated the mixture was usually set rich to lower NoX(?) levels and the air pump was installed to help complete the combustion process, lowering HC levels. If I leave the air pump off, can the SPICA be adjusted so the too-rich exhaust won't kill my cat but won't kill the engine because it's too lean?

The car is a '77 2L California model Alfetta GT, came from the factory with a cat (which died) and I recently installed a new (and new generation) cat (IAP's). Will this clean up both the HC and the NoX (?) sufficiently without the air pump? I'd like to get as close to the exhaust reg's as possible without using the air pump (power loss).

I am planning to have the whole cam/ignition/injection timing and adjustment professionally done as soon as I button it back up, so if a non-cat killing mixture/timing can be done, it will be done correctly. I just need to know if I have to re-install the air pump or whether I can skip those 4+ hours of work and still be 'green'.

BTW, the car no longer *has* to be smogged in WA (25 years old!!!), but I want it to be able to pass the test anyway ... my preference.

Any thoughts?

Tom
Seattle
10123 - no air pump, no emissions :-(
11615 - new cams, clean head, lotsa go :-)