an unusual GTV-6 short and its solution

A couple of weeks ago at Sears Point, I was very dissapointed when,
after hitting a large trench at about 20 or 25 mph, the car stopped
running. The fuse for the fuel injection had blown. The next fuse did
also.

Through the really cool help of Larry Dickman Jr. (of APE fame), and
after a LOT of attempts to find the short, the sockets for the fuel
injection relays were jumpered by Larry, and the car ran.--No, I didn't
take to the track with that setup, but it got me home, with an equally
generous shadowing by Nizam Zambri in case something blew up.

I looked some more, couldn't find it, and asked Rich at Continental
Motore to help. It took HIS crew over a day to find it, but, in case
the same ever happens to you, here's the result.

Apparently, when I hit the bump/trench hard, the impact pushed the
oxygen sensor into the chassis, creating a short and frying the
computer! (how the car still ran after is a real mystery) With a
replacement computer and O2 sensor, everything's OK now, except the old
computer was a ZAT modified one, and the replacement is stock--so now
I'll be even slower than usual.

=====
Best Regards,

Alan Lambert