Motronic Pistons

Tom Sahines said:

"If you are building a motor one of the most important things to do is to
check the clearance between the pistons and the head / valves. The engine
must be partially assembled to do this and will have to come apart to be
modified. Any new configuration I am working with will always be checked. I
use a thin layer of clay on the top of the piston. I also have a thin used
head gasket that I assemble the motor with when performing this check."

I agree with him whole heartedly. Many years ago when I did millwright type
work we would use a piece of soft solder to measure the clearance between
the head and the top of the pistons on compressor (compressor from <"bores
to 36" bores). This way we could measure the distance and allow for any
expansion due to heat or bearing wear. I would think that you could put a
piece of soft solder through the spark plug hole and under the valves and
compress the soft solder and then be able to measure what the clearances
are.

Cordova Ralph
Ralph Fetsch
Cordova Tennessee