Spider Wheels 81-90

In a message dated 03/26/2002 11:39:21 AM Central Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 00:45:12 EST
> From: ALFAXTC@domain.elided
> Subject: Spider  Wheels 81-90
>
> Does anyone know the offset of the 81-90 spiders?  Also how far of a
> difference I can go on the offset (+/- mm).
>
> I know some the Audi's have the same bolt pattern as the Spider (4x108mm),
> has anyone tried Audi wheels on a spider?
>
> Thanks
> Alan
> 88 Milano 3.0
> 87 Spider Graduate (not yet running, and in need of wheels and tires)

       Stock offset is about 35 to 37 mm, which is a bunch.  I am running 3/4
inch spacers on all four corners of my 84 race car, which changes the
effective offset to about 16 mm.  I want more offset, but the Campagnolo
Daytona style wheels that meet the SCCA class requirements of a 6 x 14 wheel
have too thick a center.  If the wheel centers were thinner, I would run inch
spacers.
       Of course, I have longer, larger studs to fit the spacers.

       I think the 7 x 15 Ford Mustang GT and LX wheels from the mid 1980's
have about exactly the right offset.  Since the rims are wider, they fit out
closer to the fenders, even though the offset is about 25 mm, as I recall.
You do have to cut the back side of the Mustang wheels slightly to clear the
stub end of the Alfa rear axle.  Plus they are cheap.
       I am running 225 50 25 tires on Mustang wheels on my lowered 82
spider.  I would suggest not going that large.  They rub, or did before I
rolled the fender lips flat and did some clearance work on the inner rear
fenders with a BFH - don't force it, get a bigger hammer.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City