RE: Milano oil question...

> Been working on my new milano verde and ran into the question of what
> oil to put in it... I've tried to seach for info but to no avail.  The
> manual says to use 10W50, but  I've had trouble finding it in the past.
> What oil is the best to use?  Also, is there a difference between
> synthetic and non-syn oils in alfas?

I *strongly* recommend Mobil 1 (15w-50).

My Verde has 126k miles on it.  The PPO had done some significant headwork
at approximately 80k miles.  I spoke to the mechanic who did the work, and
he bragged about not having to replace the valve guides (this is a well
known Alfa guy).

I told him he was nuts, that if he had an Alfa V6 apart for headwork at 80k
miles and didn't do the valve guides while he was in there he was crazy.  He
insisted that he knew that Alfa V6's needed valve guides every 70k - 90k
miles, but that in this case the guides were as new.  He attributed that to
the fact that the car had been run on Mobil 1 from day 1.  I just assumed
that I'd have to pull the heads at some point.

That was 27k miles ago (I bought the car with 99k miles on it).

I was wrong.  The car basically consumes very little oil, maybe a quart
every 1.5k miles.  It doesn't blow smoke - I had a prospective buyer for the
car (it is for sale) follow me up an off ramp one day, and I really laid
into it.  I figured he'd see a puff of blue smoke, he told me he was
watching and didn't see anything.

I put Mobil 1 in everything, even my lawn tractor.

YMMV,

bs