RE:Sunroofs

John H. Comments

<The process explanation and recognition factors which Tim Hancock was given
by
one aftermarket supplier would be a test for that supplier's product, but not
necessarily for any others. The quality of execution of a particular
installation would be a function of both the design of that product and the
skill and attitude of the authorized installer, and might provide implicit
proof that something wasn't factory, but less certain proof that it was>

What the installer I spoke to was pointing out to me was that sunroof
apertures with turned down edges or rolled edges are roof pressings and as
such are pretty well 100% likely to be factory pressings as the economics of
installing this feature as after market would be mind bogglingly expensive and
impractical. I think this can be counted as a generic test. No test is 100% of
course, but I have seen a pretty mean installation on a 164, roof trim and
all, with a body coloured steel sunroof that to all intents and purposes
looked factory fit until this test was applied. What amused me was that it
cost less than the factory roof option!

Tim Hancock  164TS Lusso  Boston UK
 ( Don't you just know it, the car has developed an irritating tap tappity tap
rattle...guess where...from the area where the sunroof retracts into the car.
If you put your hand on the rear headlining it stops....Grrrrrrrrrrr)