Re:Sunroofs

Before I bought my current 164 I looked at a base TS with no sunroof and made
enquiries about the cost of having one fitted. The company I telephoned was
very helpful and explained how a sunroof  'cassette' was inserted  from the
inside after a hole was cut in the roof. He then explained that the only way
to tell a factory fit from an after fit was to open the roof and look at the
edges of the aperture. Factory fits had pressed and folded edges whereas the
ones which had been cut out had to have a discreet black trim inserted over
the cut edge.

It is certainly the case in the UK that 164s without sunroofs (nearly all base
TS models) were harder to shift out of the showroom and it was not unknown for
Alfa Romeo main dealers to have after fit roofs installed on new 164s in the
showroom. As deliveries of the Alfas they wanted could sometimes be a bit hit
and miss this meant they could accept whatever arrived and bung their own roof
in if necessary. The conversions are very good and unless you knew what was
going on you might never have guessed except that I do not believe any 164s
had factory fit manual sunroofs (not in the UK at least), and the after market
installations could be either. Sliding glass roofs were also a giveaway of an
after fit, as were the rather tacky lifting glass hatches, but thankfully I
have never seen one of those on a 164 and if I did I would shut my eyes and
pretend I hadn't.

Tim Hancock 164TS Lusso Boston UK

Sad postscript. One of England finest young cricketers Ben Holioake was killed
at age 24 last week in Australia (his original home) driving a  Porsche which
I understand was a 924 which he lost in the wet and hit a wall. Doesn't matter
which end the engine is, just everyone take care when care is appropriate.