Berlina sunroofs - - - - - - - - - -

Interesting pair of posts by Mark Patterson on the sunroof in the ex- Todd
Arnow 1750 Berlina.

The process explanation and recognition factors which Tim Hancock was given by
one aftermarket supplier would be a test for that supplier's product, but not
necessarily for any others. The quality of execution of a particular
installation would be a function of both the design of that product and the
skill and attitude of the authorized installer, and might provide implicit
proof that something wasn't factory, but less certain proof that it was. A
clear example is the headliner on the sliding panel, which Mark wrote "does
not actually match the rest of the headliner, except in that it is off-white
with perforations, because the perforation pattern is different." There is no
reason why the factory would have gone out of its way to get material with a
different perforation patern, and no reason why an installer in 1971 (whether
for the dealer or for the first owner) couldn't have sprung for two square
feet of the original material. He didn't. A perfect match would prove nothing,
a mismatch would be as indicative of 'something' as a mismatched patern in the
upholstery of a Verde's Recaro seat.

I would revert to a comparison with known later factory sunroofs, those on the
Alfettas, except that it can be argued that the factory could have changed its
design, as it did on other things. It is still hard to prove a negative. Two
things still have weight for me: One, the testimony of the "High Unnamed
Source" who was in management at ARI at the time, who says that it "***NEVER
HAPPENED***" (but yes, he could be senile, but believe me he isn't) and Two,
the total absence of any documentation from the period. Yes, there certainly
could be documentation from the period which I don't know about, and anyone
who can produce a service bulletin, parts book page, owner's manual
suppliment, advertisement, factory invoice, build-sheet or other datable
document can strongly reinforce the idea that there were factory sunroofs on
some 105/115 cars.

I think my end of this thread has gone far enough. The only reason I have for
thinking that Webers were ever original equipment on any Alfas is that we do
have that kind of evidence. The only reason I have for thinking that Nardi
steering wheels, or wire wheels, or Lalique hood ornaments, were not factory
options on 105/115 Alfas is that there is none of that kind of evidence. Each
of us is free to believe whatever he or she wishes.

Enjoy yours-

John H.