Rev Limiter?

In a message dated 03/22/2002 11:31:07 PM Central Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 17:39:19 -0700
> From: "Ev Micou" <mdg36@domain.elided>
> Subject: Rev Limiter?
>
> hey y'all--does the 91-94 spider ecu have a rev limiter built-in? if so, at
> what rpm?  thx,ev

       I have never experienced a rev limiter on any spider.  None of the
Weber nor Spica cars have them.  I know the L Jetronic spiders from 1982 thru
1989 have none.  They will turn past 7000 rpm if pushed - and I have pushed
mine.
       I am not as confident of the Motronic. I have never hit a rev limiter,
but I am not sure how tight I have turned them.  I have autocrossed the 91
Spider Veloce and turned it pretty tight.  However, neither of my 91 spiders
has a tach that is accurate.
       In summary, assume that there is no rev limiter.  In my opinion
(perhaps humble, perhaps not) the chain driven Alfa engine does not need a
rev limiter.

       As a way to test the accuracy of the tach, the spiders after 1982 have
4:10 rear gears and should run about 22 mph per 1000 rpm on the tach.  You
can check the tach by timing mileage markers on the interstate.  At 3000 rpm
the markers should be going by every 54.54 seconds.  That is assuming stock
size tires.  If you have changed tire diameter drastically, you will need to
do some computation.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City