RE: Twitchy Porsches

Thus saith Br'er Scott:

> > But after more than 30 years of
> > refinement, the 911 is now as
> > easy to drive as a Honda Civic.
>
>Is it just me, or does that sound really sad to anyone
>else?  I guess that's another legend to be printed
>when it conflicts with the truth: that Sports Cars are
>SUPPOSED to be harder to drive than the average
>grocery-getter, and therefore they confer special
>status to those of us who choose to drive them.  So
>it's sad to think that the only real difference
>between someone who drives a 911 and someone who
>drives a Honda Civic is $80,000 or so.

I was watching a DVD of a Discovery Channel program called "The Italians"
wherein they covered (among other aspects of Italian Life) the introduction
of the Ferrari 550 Maranello. It seemed as if there was some sort of
big-deal event related to this launch held at the Nurburgring. (Stay with me
here...) As the camera goes through the crowd, assorted participants are
interviewed and there is one guy, big, burly, bearded looking like David E.
David's Teuton cousin after he went off the diet who said (and I am
paraphrasing here) about Italian sports cars: "True Italian sports cars are
cars for, if I may, 'real men' because it is their philosophy that you
should suffer a bit to drive as fast and as well as possible."

And the difference between the *average* new Porsche 911 owner and the
*average* new Honda Civic owner is not only $80K, but also an ability to get
in trouble a LOT faster.

Alfa content: I wonder in what category new Alfa Romeo owners in this
country will fall? Where do they fall in the UK, Oz, Italy, etc.?

-Joe in reasonably sunny SoFla