Re: re: re: baaad porsches

Bernd Rosemeyer was killed while going for top speed records in a
somewhat streamlined car. The mid engined placement and swing axle likely
had nothing to do with his death as he was going in a straight line. As I
recall the general consensus was that it was windy that day
and crosswinds likely generated lift causing a loss of control.

Not once in my rant did I say that the 356/911 design was perfect or
better than anything else. I was just poking some fun at all the
"brainiacs" around here spouting off about how bad the 911 is. I just
wish I had invented something so "bad" and profited from it for the past
30 years.

The argument that Porsche built the 356 based on the economics of reusing
the VW design as much as possible is absolutely correct. But it is
awfully hard to argue that there weren't a lot of people who went really
fast in those cars with a great degree of success. Finally, the argument
that Porsche had so many victories because they were popular is
backwards. Porsches were generally more expensive than their competitors
(at the amateur levels), and in many races (Mille Miglia and Le Mans -
pre 907/917 - for example) were significantly down on horsepower, but up
on handling and aerodynamics. Porsche became popular because of their
success, I'd like someone to give me a list of all the marques that have
won more on the race track than Porsche. If that list has any names on
it, I guarantee that it is a small list.

In my opinion the 911 is and was a great sports car, but could be a
handful if not cared for or driven properly.

Many people wonder in amazement why I bought a 14 year old Milano when
there are so many nice modern sports sedans available. But there aren't
many choices available to  a guy with a limited budget, a need for a
nicely cared for car and my type of sporting needs: rwd, manual tranny, 4
wheel disks, 4 doors and a decent 6 cylinder power plant (I sacrificed on
the independent rear-end here). But this type of car is my style, and a
Jetta or an Integra simply isn't. Do you think there aren't those that
question the wisdom of the transaxle or the de dion rear end? Saying that
the 911 is bad is just as unreasonable as saying that all Alfas are
unreliable and at some point will leave you stranded by the side of the
road where you'll promptly be hit be a 911 or a 356 traveling through a
turn going backwards!

To make all those aggreived feel better try the following:

1. Get into your car and go to the nice twisty section you like.

2. Accelerate briskly toward the upcoming corner.

3. Smoothly apply the brakes as you approach the entry.

  3a. For those experienced drivers you may trail brake through the entry
toward the apex.

4. Declutch - heel and toe to blip the throttle - reclutch as you ease
off the brake.

5. Smoothly accelerate past the apex toward the outside of the corner.

6. Feel the rear end come down and think about pushing outwards, and
smile as the tach climbs towards redline.

A. For those with front wheel drive or auto-trannies - I can't help you
:-)