Spiders, A/C, and low voltage

Seems like I'm not alone with this...

Problem- I turn on the A/C and the voltage drops. Big
time!

This is my second '87 Spider with exactly the same
problem.

At idle- A/C off- voltmeter is normal- about 12.3V

Turn the A/C on- fan low- it reads about 11.0V

Fan medium- 10.0V / Fan high- almost off the scale on
the low side!

Voltage is so low that the wipers won't complete
cycles, stereo cuts out- even the headlights dim.

I have a brand new battery- 4 days old.. the highest
capacity that will fit in the car.

I've lived with the problem for a long time, but I'll
be moving south in a couple of weeks and A/C is
imperative!

This explains the problem well...

http://www.jims-spider-page.com/techtips/tt8.htm

Any help or even a direction is welcome. I have
factory service manuals and wiring diagrams, and all
else is right with the car.

Thanks much!

growing older but not up....
-Ray Manners