Re: L-Jet Question

Curtiss Norheim wrote:
"...anyway I noticed as soon as I turn on the key the fuel pump runs and I
can hear fuel flowing through the fuel lines and rail however it never shuts
off. shouldn't it shut off once the pressure has been reached?"

Although at least one Digester has replied that this is normal, I don't
believe that the GTV6 L-jet pump system should run continuously with the key
on, but the engine not running.  In fact, the service manual talks about
using a jumper to cause the pump to run, with the engine not running,  for
L-jet fuel pressure diagnostic purposes.  My '84 GTV6 behaved like Curtiss'
when I bought it.  I later discovered that there is a microswitch mounted on
little metal arms that are hidden beneath the square plastic cover on top of
the AFM.  If I remember correctly, one of the arms is mounted to the AFM's
flapper to *insure* that the pump doesn't continue to run if no air is
moving through the engine.  Some PO or technician had apparently bent the
arm to force the pump to run continuously.  The little black plastic cover
can be pried off of the AFM with a little care. Bend the arms so that the
switch responds to the movement of the flapper.  Then, the black plastic
cover can be simply glued back in place with a little sealant (the O2 sensor
safe variety, I assume).
Bert Neily
Raleigh, NC