Re: alfa-digest V8 #563

The shift rod is connected to the shifter with a M7 bolt that goes through
two bushings in the shifter. A steel bushing and a very thin plastic sleeve
between the steel bushing and the hole in the shifter. Buy both bushings new
but before you install them, measure the thickness of the shifter and file
the steel bushing so it is as long as the shifter is thick. The bushing is
often too long and regardless how hard you tighten the bolt the shifter will
rock side to side. After the new bushings are installed tighten the bolt
snugly and make sure you test the shifter for smoothness before letting the
car back down. If you tighten the bolt too hard the shifter will be stiff
and hard to move. Just right is when there is a slight resistance when
moving back and forth, it will loosen up slightly as the parts wear in.

Good luck!
Thomas
'78 Alfetta GT
'76 Alfetta GT