Failed CA smog, Help!

Sorry listers but I've bought another car to
compliment, not replace my Alfa 164S.  It's the
competition, a '93 BMW 525I and it's just failed its
smog test.  I only failed on one part. It's the HC at
idle. I measured at 160ppm and the max allowable is
100ppm. Can anyone steer me in right direction for
diagnosis? Upon past failures with other cars, I've
learned that the failed measurement usually can
indicate ignition, fuel/air, or emission components.
Which does "HC" indicate? Are there any websites
around that help with diagnosis based on the smog
readings? I've also attempted to read the fault codes
but no luck!  The car does run perfectly.  Thanks in
advance for any help.

Rgds.,
Jerry, San Francisco
'91 164S