natural selection

In a message dated 03/12/2002 10:57:24 AM Pacific Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> After all is said and done though I still think L.A.
> has the best and most considerate drivers in the
> country.  People in L.A. move quickly whenever
> possible and they don't panic around curves.  Unlike
> the eastern U.S. nobody pokes along at 58 mph on the
> freeway.  They rarely sit in the left lane when
> there's someone wanting to pass and unlike
> metropolitan New York and Boston they never turn left
> out of the right lane and vice versa.  I may catch
> hell from this response but it should be interesting.

Well, this is very easy to explain.  There are two basic reasons why LA
drivers are a little better:

First, of course, the ones that repeatedly pull some stunt like making a left
turn from the right lane, or backing up on the freeway if they miss an exit
(a favorite MA trick), or poking along as 53 mph in the passing lane, will
eventually be shot by someone gripped by a case of road rage.  Not only will
they be gone, but they may not be able to reproduce their kind.

The there is another large class of local drivers: they want to be as careful
as they can not to draw attention to themselves if possible, because they do
not have driver's licenses.  The reason they are unlicensed is that they are
illegal aliens and can't get a CA license or they will encounter La Migra.
So, they try for a low profile, which means not only "normal" driving, but
also avoiding the wrath of the road enraged (see above).

Charlie
LA, CA, USA