LA cell phones

In a message dated 03/12/2002 10:57:24 AM Pacific Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Maybe someone can explain this to me, but I thought that in most
> developed contries, numbers of Mobile Phones were beginning to exceed
> numbers of fixed phone lines (or cars for that matter).
Special to Lex in NZ:
We may not have new ALFAS in the USA (for now) but our telephone system is
the envy of the world (they boast).  I know our international long distance
rates are so much lower that many other countries route calls through the
United States to save money (please don't ask me to explain how this works,
exactly, but I think it is something like a discount a return ticket).  All
this means that while cell phones are popular, they are luxury extras here,
unlike a country such as Italy where the land lines are poor and people
flocked to cell phones because they are more reliable.

But, there is quite some controversy about using a phone while driving, and
some states have already made it illegal to one extent or another.

The gag about the LA driving application is several years old.  Back in those
days, cell phones weren't as commonplace, and they were seen to be the
showoff appliance of certain LA types: agents, actors, models, and people who
wear black.  Now, they are a standard issue item for adolescents, like
braces.

Charlie
LA, CA, USA
"call me and we'll take a lunch"