Re: alfa-digest V8 #558

AlfaM5 said:

"I recently began hearing clunks from the back of my
Milano whenever I step off the gas pedal.  It sounds
like a worn out bushing or mount somewhere.
Is this a familiar thing?"

Most common source of posterior clunkage (note highly
technical language here) in these cars is sloppy CV
joints. If you're lucky enough to have a mechanic with
a big stack of parts cars, you can get these replaced
for very reasonable. New ones are a bit pricier. They
seem not to be that much of a PITA to install, if you
know what you're doing, which is why I let the guys at
Alfa Only do the honors when my clunkage got bad
enough to scare rear-seat passengers.

Another possible source would be the bushing at the
forward apex of the Dedion axle assembly. The central
bit of my Watts link - the pivoting piece in the
middle of the axle to which the control arms attach -
also makes some noise if I hit a too-sharp speed bump
straight on, but that's more of a "clack"...

Will Owen
Pasadena, CA
http://mail.yahoo.com/