spelling, etc (no SUV content)

Since John is a speaker of British English, use of the archaic
"spelt" rather than "spelled" is quasi-correct, as far as I know.  I
think when he refers to horology he means that "pawl" is appropriate
for the early 21st century, perhaps covering his a** if it turns out
that 17th-century motorists referred to this part of their handbrake
as a "pall."  John's error however, was in using "horological" as an
adverb, when such a usage should have ended in "ly," e.g.
"horologically."