Re: thermostat and fan switches

Hi Kyle:

If your Spider engine is slow in reaching normal operating temp, it's not
the cooling fan, be it engine-driven or electric.  Check the thermostat.  I
don't recall what year your car is, but I know the pre-Bosch injected cars
have a spring-loaded flow restrictor in the coolant bypass hose.  Perhaps
that's missing, installed backwards, or defective.  You can check the gauge
by grounding the wire from the sensor, which should cause the gauge to read
full scale.

As for a switch, any decent auto parts store should have a good one
available, usually a generic type with a capillary tube temperature
probe.  Most of that type are adjustable, and can be had for perhaps
$20.  Most OEM-type switches are installed into a threaded bung in one of
the radiator tanks.  If you have a NAPA store nearby, they have a catalog
with countless such switches listed, giving on/off temps and thread
size.  If you go that way, you'll need a bung soldered into your
radiator.  I bought the switch for my car from www.jegs.com made by
Painless, and it switches on at 185/off at 170.  Such a switch should be
installed in the bottom tank of the radiator.

Regards,

Dean W. Cains
Lutz, FL
'74 Spider Veloce