Driving dawgs, appawlling really

One of my most fun drives was in a rented Dodge Colt automatic up that two
lane from Santa Cruz to Santa Clara (forgive my ignrunce as to exact
location, I was on 'oliday at the time) following a Porsche 911 Targa. I
could not keep up but it sure was fun trying.

On another occasion, same 'oliday, I was driving an old VW Rabbit, with a
manual tranny this time, in 6 inches of wet snow with summer tires (albeit
brand new Vredesteins, remember those???) up the pass from Sacramento to
North Lake Tahoe (again abject 'pologies for lack of precision, my sister
was navigating) at 70 mph in the "fast" lane full of snow while the
California drivers were tailgating each other up the bare slow lane at
about 30 mph flinching as this crazy Canuck blasted by. In our world the
conditions were normal winter, except the snow was wet and actually moved
out of the way as you drove through it. We're more used to floating on top
of the snow.

Some of the best drives can be had in incompetent machinery, it depends
upon your point of view.

Of course, none of these compares to my Calgary to Vancouver dash many
years ago in my charcoal "grey" GTV6 in 9. 5 hours elapsed for1,200 km
including all stops. The speed limit ranged from 80 km/hr to 100 km/hr. The
arithmetically inclined will appreciate that it was impossible to do this
without speeding. Experienced fast drivers among you will understand
intuitively that to achieve that average speed I was topping out
occasionally. 90% of the route was two lane twisties at that time....pure
heaven in that car.

Oh, and the speling issue thread needs to die. No one I know uses correct
speling on the Internet or in e mail. Standard speling originated only in
the 19th century, and that was only for English English. It is polite to
correct speling and useage if meaning is in doubt, otherwise one casts a
pawl over free and easy communication...

I thought Scott Fisher's post was the funniest response in this vein, tough
to top the light hearted wit of that post....
Michael Smith
Calgary, Alberta,Canada
91 Alfa 164L