spider - undercarrige heat shield missing

hello,

While my car was in the shop, the mechanic decided to throw away the heat
shield which, I believe, protects the underbody and driver from heat off the
front part of the exhaust pipe to the catalytic converter.

I didn't realize that it was missing until I jacked up the car to replace the
stock header for smog yesterday. I doubt that this guy saved that piece.

I am a serious bay area commuter that does about 400 miles a week.

Should I go out and get another shield or do you think I will be fine?
http://mail.yahoo.com/