Oil Leak

In a message dated 03/10/2002 7:56:01 AM Central Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 08:47:40 -0600
> From: Forza <headroom@domain.elided>
> Subject: Oil Leak
>
> Hello People,
>     I have oil dripping onto the top of my oil pan just below the filter
> and
> oil sensor (idiot light).  The oil filter was checked so although I can't
> really see to tell, I believe the sensor is the source of the leak.  What
> size socket removes this sensor?  How is it threaded?  Size, etc.   Can I
> use a plug wrench, and what can I replace the sensor with since the sending
> wire is nowhere to be found, and I hate idiot lights anyway?  (An old spark
> plug maybe?)
>
> Gabriel Forzano
> 86 Spider Veloce
> Leapen Lena

       Buy a new sending unit and put it in there.  Then find the missing
wire and hook it up.  It will not hurt anything and may save your Alfa if an
Idiot drives it.
       Also buy a vernier caliper marked in metric.  I found a cheap plastic
one for two or three bucks.  Measure across the flats of the sensor and that
is the size of wrench that will fit.  I could go measure one and tell you the
size, but I would just measure it with my caliper.

       I did have an Alfa that sprung a leak between the front cover and the
engine block.  Mine was leaking antifreeze behind the oil filter.  I dumped
some stop leak in and it quit leaking.
       If the gasket has blown out and it is leaking oil, the engine will
have to be torn down.  There is no way that I have figured out to replace the
front cover without pulling the cylinder head and oil pan.  There is a big O
ring that seals the oil passage between the front cover and the main oil
galley.  I have never had one of those fail, but it could.
       Before you go that far, replace the oil filter.  The seal has been
known to leak and the oil filter case can even crack.  Clean the mating
surface where the oil filter seals.  Spray carb cleaner is good and
evaporates quickly.  Hell, clean the whole engine while you are in there!
       I always pour some oil into the filter before putting it on.  Soaking
up the filter element can prevent shock when oil pressure first hits the
filter.  Plus you need to lubricate the seal anyway.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City