lower timing gears -- things that make you go Hmmm...

In a message dated 03/09/2002 1:47:48 AM Central Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 15:32:34 -0800
> From: "Tony Sims" <simstony@domain.elided>
> Subject: lower timing gears -- things that make you go Hmmm...
>
> According to my Brooklands manual (Oh how I wish Robert Bentley had a GTV
> book), the lower timing gears in my 2L are supposed to have timing marks on
> them to facilitate proper reassembly.  I've cleaned them well, and turned
> them
> every which way, and they have nary a mark on them.  Now what?  The lower
> one
> is keyed to the crank, so no problem there.  Is there any other way to
> assure
> the upper is set correctly?
>
> TIA,
>
> Tony
> Portland, OR
> 74 GTV

       There are no marks on the lower timing gears and there is nothing that
would require timing marks that I can think of.  You are timing the
crankshaft to the camshafts.  The alignment of the intermediate pulley in the
middle is of no consequence.
       Put it together with everything at TDC.  That is, number one cylinder
should be at the top and the lobes on each camshaft should be pointing away
from each other and the timing marks should be aligned.  Put the upper chain
together so that the end link is half way between the two camshafts.  To get
the chain on, you will have to move one or both cams out of alignment.
Tighten the chain tensioner turn the engine over a couple of turns and fine
tune the cam timing.
       Turn the engine over a couple more times and make sure the cam timing
is still correct.  Loosen and retighten the tensioner again and button things
up.
       I always make sure to turn the engine in the direction it runs when
setting the timing.  I bring the P mark up to the pointer by turning the
crankshaft front pulley in the clockwise direction only.  If I go past the
mark, I back up well beyond the P mark and bring it back in a clockwise
direction only.  That is to make sure all the tension is out of the timing
chain and that the timing is set that way.  If there is a bit of slop on the
backside of the timing chain, I do not care as much.  I want the timing to be
right on when accelerating.  I am not as concerned about timing on
deceleration.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City