Final word on Spider G-box oil?

In a message dated 03/09/2002 1:47:48 AM Central Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 17:43:54 -0500 (EST)
> From: adoherty@domain.elided (Adam Doherty)
> Subject: Final word on Spider G-box oil?
>
> So after all that...what would be the consensus re: Redline 75/90 NS v.
> Sprirax for the post '85 Spiders? Spirax was called for in the manual and
> apparently works well (as per Tom Sahines et als), but can it be the case
> that the Redline might work better if not as well? I have a new to me '87
> Veloce and will be unmothballing it for the emminent spring here....
>
> Regards,

       I am still in a quandary.  I just put the transmission back in my 84
spider race car and have yet to pour a couple of quarts of whatever down the
shifter tower.
       I had been running RedLine MTL.  The transmission seemed to shift well
for most of its life, however, going down to third gear at extreme speeds
half a dozen times every lap of every race had taken its toll.  Third gear
had become quite clunky and I had to double clutch more faithfully than I had
in the past.  When I pulled it out, third gear was much worse than any second
gear synchronizer I have ever seen.
       So was that the oil?  Or was it just abuse of third gear?  Certainly
the latter, maybe the former.  I do like synthetics for their consistancy and
ability to stand up to extreme situations.
       If I go with RedLine again, it will be the NS.  Dammit, Tom, now I
have to make a decision.

       By the way, I found a great way to get the transmission back in the
car.  A friend showed up with arms about the size of my legs.  He could
probably bench press me.  I did all of the alignment and less than half the
lifting and it went right in.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City