Re: Road trip tips

At 03:21 PM 3/8/02 EST, you wrote:
>Hello Alfa and Bimmer nuts,
>I'm going to be making a road trip over spring break, heading west from
>College Station Texas (between Austin and Houston).  Depending on when me
and
>my girlfriend get out of here, we're aiming for the grand canyon and
possibly
>all the way to the left coast.  We are just going to throw a tent and some
>sleeping bags in the trunk and follow our noses west.
>I'd like to see as much scenic, twisty stuff as possible on this trip, so
I'd
>like to hear from you on fun roads/routes to take.  Right now we are
thinking
>about hitting Carlsbad Caverns, Petrified forest, and the Grand Canyon, but
>we weren't planning on making definite plans about where we're going, so
>anything's possible (as long as it's cheap!).  Any attractions that are
>automotive related are a plus, but historical, natural, or musical
>attractions are just as welcome.  Anything blues related out there?  My
>girlfriend wants to see unusual roadside attractions.  I was thinking maybe
>route 66 as well.

Its a little out of the way, but Utah 12 between Brice National Park and
Capitol Reef National Momument has got to be among the most spectacular
roads I have been on, and lots of twisties and steep climbs.
Jim

PS if you are into driving along sheer dropoffs of 1000 feet or more then
try the Million Dollar Highway (Colo 550) in Colorado. It is called that
because it cost over a million dollars per mile 10 years ago or so, and it
is a two lane road, narrow in spots. Go over the edge and you'll kiss your
a** goodby, they have lost 6 snow plow drivers since it was built (no guard
rails). Some of the turns are actual 20MPH turns. Goes from Durango to Ouray.