rear spring removal

>-I need to change the rear springs on my 1974 GTV.
>The books say you need to disconnect the whole axle assembly and remove it.
>Has anyone found a less complicated way?

1) raise the rear of the car as high up as you can.  support at the rear
jacking points with jackstands.  the rear axle should now be supported
by the limiting straps.
2) undo the lower shock mounting nuts on the trailing arm.  push the
shock up a little.
3) get a floorjack under the rear of the trailing arm.
4) undo the nuts at the rear trailing arm / swaybar junction.  remove
the big bolt.
5) slowly lower the trailing arm with the floorjack.
6) read all the admonitions from other digesters about how the spring
will come shooting out and kill you.
7) once the trailing arms gets low enough the spring will no longer be
under tension and will essentially slip out of place.
8) replace in reverse order.

here's the hot tips: complete one side before undoing the other.  easier
to get everything lined up that way.  and put antiseize on the big bolts.

peter kemos
73 GTV