Re: The last "real" Alfa gearbox (was: Transmission oil)

John,

It is, as always, a pleasure to be corrected by you and your very well
documented postings. My main Alfa knowledge only goes back to the mid 60's,
where my main interest also lies. I am but a kid of 40 :-)

The only reason I made the statement I did was to end the confusion I sensed
amongst many a digester about Spirax and into which cars it could go. I am
sure that Dentax was a great oil for the pre-67 cars. But on the other hand
Alfa has always been known for taking whatever was available on the shelf that
day. And Alfa has had a long time sposorship deal with Shell.

I do seem to remember that the question originated in which oil to use in
someones mid 70's GTV or Spider. This is also a question that has been raised
many a time. Also one that is quite important to be answered as there is no
reason to rebuild more trannys than necessary. Use the right oil!!!

Maybe we should start using the old Shell X-100 engine oils as well, it is
still available in Denmark at the gas stations anlong with the Helix and
whatever the synthetic stuff is called.

Best regards,

Henrik Johansen