RE: Rear Spring removal

> I need to change the rear springs on my 1974 GTV.
> The books say you need to disconnect the whole axle assembly and
> remove it.
> Has anyone found a less complicated way?
> I would appreciate any tips.

Sure.

Get the rear of the car up on jack stands, place a floor jack under the rear
of the trailing arm on one side, undo the shock bottom on that side,
disconnect the trailing arm from the axle on that side, lower the floor
jack, and wiggle the spring out from around the hanging shock.  Put the new
spring in, raise the axle using the jack, reassemble.

Then do the other side using the same procedure.

Relatively simple job.

Before you get started, think about how long the bushings, etc have been in
there.  You might want to consider dropping the whole thing and doing some
re-bushing while you're in there.  If the car has some miles on it (as
sagging springs might suggest), then fresh bushings might make a world of
difference.

HTH,

bs