Trailer with DeDion Axle

In a message dated 03/01/2002 12:40:15 AM Central Standard Time,
sfalfisto@domain.elided writes:

> ok, you've piqued my curiosity.  you gotta show us photos of this trailer.
> and if you have any photos of a rollbar installation i know tim and i would
> both be interested.
>
> thanks!
> ian lomax
> sf, ca
> 71 spider (debating rollbar options)

       Sorry, I have no photos of the trailer.  I built it just before the
Detroit Alfa convention in about 1990 and towed it with my Alfetta Berlina
sedan.  It later went to the Baltimore and Copper Mountain conventions behind
the Milano.  It hauled race tires and camping gear.
      I had an old snowmobile trailer.  The snowmobile left years ago before
I moved to Oklahoma where snow rarely stays long.  It had a nice square bed
with leaf springs and a beam axle with tiny wheels.
      I pulled an Alfetta DeDion, cut off the coil spring perches and welded
on pads for the existing leaf springs.  At the front I drilled a hole in the
tongue and bolted the front point of the DeDion to the bottom of the tongue.
The axle pivots around the existing bushing at the front.
      I also extended the tongue length.  The longer the tongue, the more
stable the trailer at speed.  It pulled quite nice at up to 100 mph.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City