Re: alfa-digest V8 #528 - Spider trailer hitches

In a message dated 03/01/2002 12:01:10 PM Central Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 09:15:56 -0500
> From: "Bain, Bill" <Bill.Bain@domain.elided>
> Subject: Spider trailer hitches
>
> Russ mentioned a Spider that was at the COlorado convention that had a
> trailer hitch.  I've looked for a hitch for my '83 SPider (same idea --
> put the roll bar on a rack on the hitch) and haven't been able to find
> one.  Hans is pretty sure that hitches were avaialbe in Europe.
> Anybody got any additional information?  I have the strap-on luggage
> rack that wa an OEM part and I strap teh roll bar to that, but the rack
> mount does mark up the paint on th trunk lid, so those with decent paint
> jobs might not see that as an option.
>
> Bill Bain
> AROC Atlanta
> '83 Spider
> '87 Milano

       No, the Spider in Colorado had a bike rack that clamped to the rear
bumper.  I did not get too good a look at it as it was the last day and the
car was leaving the convention.
       My 84 race car came to me with some holes drilled in the spare tire
carrier and in the alunumum of the rear bumper.  That made me think someone
had once had one fitted, but none came with the car.
       I just looked at the 91 spider in the garage.  It is the same as yours
underneath all the plastic.  I think if I were to build a trailer hitch for a
rubber duckie spider such as yours, I would cut a small hole about 1/2 by 2
inches in the valence below the bumper.  I would run a chrome hitch through
that hole and build all the reinforcement above the muffler channel and with
reinforcing steel cross wise on the floor of the trunk.  Through bolt to the
bars underneath and it should be substantial enough for a small race tire /
roll bar trailer.
       At least that is my thought.  There is not enough room underneath
behind the gas tank and the spare tire well for a cross brace to keep the
hitch from twisting.  There should be room in front of the gas tank / spare
tire carrier to bolt the front of the trailer hitch.  I like to have the
hitch run quite a ways forward to spread the load and to keep the hitch
level.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City