VERDE AFTERMARKET TIRES & WHEELS

Alfisti,

I have been looking around for nice wheels to throw on my upcoming Verde
project.  Although the choices are a little more limited than if I were
looking for Honda or VW wheels, there are still several great looking
aftermarket wheels for the 5 x 98mm GTV6/ Milano around (it just requires a
little creative digging).

I know that my questions will raise some very subjective answers, but I'll
let you know what I want to do with my project Verde, so you can orient
yourselves:
I intend to add larger sway bars and torsion bars, and sport springs in the
rear.  I will lower the car somewhat, but still want enough clearance to
drive on the street, with occasional track outings.  I don't mind a stiffer
ride (I have a couple of other Alfas for daily driving).  I also understand
the dynamics involved with tire diameter and speedometer/ odometer readings
and final drive ratios/ RPMs.  My aim is to try and keep the overall
diameter pretty close to stock...and I don't want to go below a 45 aspect
ratio (I see too many very expensive rims dented because of too little
sidewall height), but I do want to increase my contact patch significantly.

I see that both Alfa Bill and Re-Originals have the nice, new Alfa alloy
wheels from the 147 and 156 available.  They both come in 16 X 6.5 sizing.
Originally, I had been looking at a 16 X 7.5 sizing (Ronal LVs are very
nice), as I want to mount tires with as wide a footprint as I can easily fit
under a lowered Verde.

The questions I have are as follows:

1.  I know the Milano requires a "hub-centric" wheel.  What are the
lightest/ strongest and 'hub-centric' wheels around?
2.  What is the best size of rim/ rubber for a Verde (or any Milano)?
3.  Is the 16 X 6.5 too narrow a wheel?
4.  What is the formula for calculating optimum wheel size for a given tire
size?
5.  I have seen some Milanos/ 75s wearing very big tires, including some
that have larger tires in the rear.  Doesn't that significantly change the
handling characteristics?
6.  What are the advantages/ disadvantages?
7.  Have any of you had any clearance problems with larger wheels/ tires?

Thanks for your help.

Alex Csank
Norfolk, VA
'69 Spider 1300 Junior (185/70-14 Pirelli P400s on BWA 4 spoke wheels)
'78 Alfetta Sprint Veloce (205/50-15 Yokohamas and Kumhos on Borbet type 'A'
wheels)
'87 Milano Gold (195/50-15 Pirelli P700s on CEC 129 wheels)
'87 Milano Verde (soon to be acquired)
'88 Milano Silver (dry-rotted 195/60-14 Michelins on stock steel wheels)