Our mystery gas tanks

    Oh yeah, has anyone actually put 12 gallons of
> fuel in the 12 gallon tank?

I have my suspicions that the tank I was told was 12 gallons in my Spider may
be 14 gallons, but on the Old Spider Tour in about '98, following a really
fast blast around the Washington high desert with a Ferrari 308, we discovered
that we were many miles from everywhere and my fuel light was on solid.  The
Tifoso (who said he kept thinking, "Damn that was fast, I better let Joe catch
up," only to look in his rear view mirror and see one Spider headlight) and I
set up drafting, egg shell throttled it, and made it to a gas station where I
put in 11.96 gallons.

I thought I'd dodged a bullet, at minimum, but my car has a screw on gas cap
and the owners manual says it has a 14 gallon tank.  His Eminence Mr. Hertzman
seems to think it could have a 14 gallon tank.  So does this mean I really did
have 2 more gallons and coulda passed the Ferrari?  Well, maybe not exactly
passed him in the physical sense, but not having to ask for a draft would have
saved some Milano face.

I DO enjoy it,
Joe