RE: injection system swap

Hey P.J.

Here are a few answers for you...  First off get Wes Ingrams Spica Book, it
will save you lots of grief.  If you're not absolutely sure what something
is on the Spica system, don't touch it.  Some screws are reference screws.
Once you much with those, you're screwed.

So onwards...

1. I now have two pumps. I havn't seen either work.
Without resorting to a Wes rebuild (yet)/assuming both
work well (!) is there a difference in the two that
would make one a better choice?

I would go with the 78.  81 was the worst year for performance for a number
of reasons.  Wes' notes outline which pumps flow the most.

>2. Testing the thermo actuators...how, if possible? Is
>there a difference in '78 and '81 pin lenghts? Can I
>use the '81 actuator if I use the '78 pump?

when cold the length of the T/A should be 23mm +/- 1 mm and when hot (190
deg F) it should be about 30 mm +/- 1 mm.  there are variations from year to
year, again Wes' book spells them out.  as long as you're close to these
numbers you can probably adjust the system to work.

>3. Ditto for the injectors...any bench tests or
>inspection clues? Any reason to favor either vintage?

so major differences that i know of, they're just high pressure valves.
remove and soak in solvent to clean up.

>4. From motorcycle daze I have a four tube Hg (Motion
>Pro) carb balancing tool. Can this be used to balance
>the intake butterflies? Where are the vacuum
>take-offs?

yes you can, don't know about the vacuum take offs.

>5. Have racers/power addicts worked on optimization of
>the air box volume? By looks, I'd bet a custom box and
>ram air ducts could help breathing a bit...sure works
>on motor bikes.

have you looked inside the airbox?  it's already got ram tubes!  the airbox
is a work of art (assuming you have the 78 setup, i'm not sure what 81 looks
like.  don't mess with it for a near stock engine.

>6. Linkage. Not in the Mid East. Its gonna
>change...source for those nice rounded 3/4 ball
>connector thingies on the ends of the rods between the
>bell cranks?

alfa parts in berkeley, CA carries them, as do others.

>Any general hints/comments on getting this together
>(other than I should have gone with carbs!)???

nah, spica is more fun.  get the notes and check www.alfaclub.org the oregon
AROC website for a good primer on the spica system.

>Much obliged for your wit and wisdom in advance.
>
>P.J. Wise, South Bend, WA
>'81 Spider Veloce, "Verena Ragazza"

good luck!

ian lomax