RE: Touch-up paint strategy

Colin,
Try this at your own risk but. . .
I once covered up a few paint chips along the belt line of a dark red spider.
 I just found a can of red spray paint and a can of black spray paint.  Then
I sprayed some a puddle of red paint in a cup, and added just a touch of the
black at a time, then stirred it up.  Keep doing this till the color is close
enough for you, then apply with a fine tipped paint brush.  You may want to
do a couple "coats" over the nicks as the original paint is several layers
thick, and the spray paint goes on pretty thin.
You might also try using some of those little bottles of touch up paint and
mixing it the same way.  It will never be perfect like repainting the whole
car.  But from 3 or 4 feet away, you really can't tell.  And even if it
doesn't look right, as long as you were careful putting it on, you're still
no worse off than you were before. Try it again to get the color just right
if you need to.
Hope this helps,
Jake Hahn
87 Spider
89 BMW 325i

In a message dated 3/1/02 12:44:03 AM Central Standard Time,