Berlina gas tanks, screw-on lids, and screwed-up part numbers

Norm Riffle writes "My '73 spica'd berlina has the screw on gas cap I believe
to be indicative of the 12 gallon tank.    Anyone confirm or deny this?"

The main (i.e., 'Euro') 2000 Berlina parts book published in October 1971
shows the screw-on gas cap, and the June 1974 Catalogo Rapido shows the same
cap on all 2000 cars. The USA Version 2000 Berlina supplement shows a screw-on
cap, albeit with a different part number. My best guess is that Norm is indeed
correct that the screw-on gas cap is indicative of the big tank, but that
there were no smaller-tank 2000s. If anyone know otherwise, please chime in.

Trivia and/or anomaly collectors may enjoy knowing that the screw-on cap for
the Euro (still 105) 2000 cars had an Alfetta part number in 1971
(116.00.32.018.00) while the USA (115) 2000 cars had a screw-on cap with a 105
part number (105.64.32.018.00, indicating it was first used on the Montreal.)

There are parallel anomalies elsewhere in the parts code structure; the 105
2000 ring gears and starters have 116.00 part numbers, while the 116 Alfetta
ring gears and starters have 105.12 part numbers, which by Alfa part number
conventions indicate that they were used on the Euro 2000 Berlina. My
understanding is that the part numbers are assigned during development (which
can be part of a very broad program, thus explaining the 33 Stradale being the
first 115 car, tipo 115.33) and a pre-production application switch can
bollix-up the apparent logic of the numbering system. It helps keep life
interesting, at least for those of us who are curious about logic at Arese.

John H.

Raleigh, N.C.