Rear suspension limiting straps

I bought an '87 Spider Quad about a month ago and I'm trying to track
down a "clunking" noise I hear when accelerating from a stop. I checked
the driveshaft and the U-joints and flex-disk seemed OK as far as I can
tell. No obvious play. I did notice that the nylon suspension limiting
straps were all broken. Could that be causing the problem? Any other
ideas? Any info would be appreciated.

Jason Arrington
jarrington@domain.elided
Silver '87 Spider Quadrifoglio