Re: engine/trans removal

Actually...

I consulted with Jeff Zurschmeide, the fellow who
replaced the engine in his GT Junior with some help
from me.

We *did* get the motor OUT without dropping the
transmission, but we couldn't get it back IN again
without at least lowering the gearbox to line things
up.

Either way -- since the original poster wants to
replace the clutch as well as have the transmission
rebuilt, I think it would be a lot easier in the long
run to do it this way:

pull engine and transmission
separate on workbench
send transmission to be rebuilt
install clutch on engine
reassemble on workbench
install engine and transmission

That's certainly the way I'd do it -- I'd rather pull
the engine (not that difficult with a good
cherry-picker) and be able to replace the clutch while
the engine is on the bench, instead of trying to get
it all lined up while lying on my back underneath the
car.  It's also a LOT easier to line up the
transmission input shaft with the clutch splines if
you can wobble the tranny freely into position --
trying to get the splines to line up with one piece or
the other still in the car can try one's patience.

--Scott Fisher
  Tualatin, Oregon

http://sports.yahoo.com