transmission r & r

My Spider's (82) transmission is dripping.  Oh, and the syncronizers are
cruncy.  Time to R & R the unit.  At the same time I will be replacing the
clutch.

My question:  how difficult is the removal and reinstallation for a guy with
two drive up ramps, tons of tools, and experience with trans
removal/reinstalls on other cars (primarily FIAT Spiders)?

Also, is the replacement of all syncronizers and the transmission seals a
DIY job on these units?  Or should I ship it on over to Spruell?

Alfa Owner's bible says the easiest way is to yank the engine, but I have
little desire to do this.  The Alfa transmission and engine bays are much
more roomy than the FIATs and it doesn't look so horrible.  Perhaps I am
wrong?