To shroud or not to shroud

I'm getting ready to put the radiator back in my '74 Spider. Didn't buy
a new one, just too expensive right now so i soldered this one again.
I want to eventually put an electric fan on but that will come later
too I think. So, I'm looking to maybe gain some working space in front
of the engine and make it easier to work on things in general and was
wondering if anyone was running without the fan shroud on their
Spiders. The fan sits a bit farther from the radiator than I would
like but might still pull fine without the shroud. Any one have any
experience on this?

Ed

Loveland, CO.
1974 Spider with a 1750 under the hood