transmission r & r

In a message dated 02/24/2002 2:52:43 PM Central Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 19:02:39 +0000
> From: "bradley artigue" <brad_artigue@domain.elided>
> Subject: transmission r & r
>
> My Spider's (82) transmission is dripping.  Oh, and the syncronizers are
> cruncy.  Time to R & R the unit.  At the same time I will be replacing the
> clutch.
>
> My question:  how difficult is the removal and reinstallation for a guy
> with
> two drive up ramps, tons of tools, and experience with trans
> removal/reinstalls on other cars (primarily FIAT Spiders)?
>
> Also, is the replacement of all syncronizers and the transmission seals a
> DIY job on these units?  Or should I ship it on over to Spruell?
>
> Alfa Owner's bible says the easiest way is to yank the engine, but I have
> little desire to do this.  The Alfa transmission and engine bays are much
> more roomy than the FIATs and it doesn't look so horrible.  Perhaps I am
> wrong?

       I think you must have read the Alfa Bible wrong, or I am not
understanding your restatement of what was said.  There is no way to remove
an Alfa engine while leaving the transmission in place, which is what I
understand you are saying.  You have to either remove the transmission first
or pull the two as a unit.  I am talking about spiders, 105 GTV, Berlina,
etc, here.

       Put the front wheels of the Alfa on ramps and jack stands under the
rear axle.  Drop the transmission on your stomach to get it out by your self.
 When I was younger I would put the transmission back the same way, by
arching my back and humping the thing in where it goes.  Today, I find a
floor jack and a friend a real help for putting it back in.
       One big hint is to put a block of wood on top of a jack and put it
under the front of the oil pan.  This tilts the transmission down so that it
will slide out easier.  This is required to stab the transmission back in.
       If you have never cracked a transmission, you will probably get lost
in a hurry.  Pull it out and take it somewhere.  Hopefully you can find
someone who has done it before and will hold your hand as you learn.  I just
today rebuilt my 84 spider transmission with David Simmons help.  David has
the hydraulic press required to get the gears apart.  Plus he has done many
transmissions, whereas this is only the fourth or fifth time I have done one.
 He also has a huge supply of sliders, forks, and other parts from junked out
transmissions.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City