Electronic ignition in a Spider

    In an attempt to address my '77 Spider's derivability problem (which
I believe I've determined to be ignition-related, not SPICA), I ordered
Crane Cams' FireBall XR700 optically-triggered ignition system, at a
Digesti's suggestion.  (Earlier, I had the SPICA system calibrated and
adjusted,  replaced the plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor and coil,
and I cleaned all fuses, yet the engine routinely stalls after idling
for about two or three minutes and restarting anytime for the next
several hours afterwards is impossible.)
    Can anyone give me a quick primer on how to proceed with installing
the FireBall?  The instructions seemed prepared for many different
applications, and I'm also at a disadvantage in that I don't know what
the inside of my distributor is supposed to look like; the PO installed
a lesser-quality electronic ignition module (make:  Gerex) some years
ago.  The instructions include a section for "Italian applications with
Marelli distributor," but the drawings look nothing like what I have
under the hood.

Doug
77 Spider
formerly:  72 TR6, 83 RX-7

[demime 0.98e removed an attachment of type text/x-vcard which had a name of dharris.vcf]