'78 Spider FAILS the NC Emissions test!

Following minor tune-up.  Just replaced dual point
w/single and rotor/cap/condensor.  Spica cold start
solenoid adjusted.  Thermostatic actuator within specs.
Spica pump oil filter and fuel filter replaced.  New air
filter.  Fresh oil change and filter.  93 Octane fuel.

Converter still installed.  Air pump was removed long
ago by the P.O. but missed by the emissions inspector.
Performed vigorous 'Italian tune-up' prior to emission
test!

Here are the results:

HC     216(ppm)   Standard 350
CO     4.88%      Standard 3.50   BUST!
CO2    10.7%

Engine RPM at Reading 988 (max allowable 1100 RPM).  The
car's tachometer indicates a 750 RPM idle but the test
device showed over a 200 RPM error.

Any ideas to reduce the %CO?  The idle speed does not
respond more than about 100 RPM to adjustments to the
idle equalizer so I don't think there is enough
adjustment to lower the % CO to less than 3.5%.

The mixture set too rich?  Car starts and run great
regardless of temperature so I hate to mess with a good
thing...

Thanks!

Jeff