Re: SUV Haters Unite

Nice

They are a bunch of complete prats aren't they? The thing that gets me is
that almost every one you see has under-inflated tyres. They are just
waiting to die and take out a few others at the same time. Ignorant idiots.
At least they are getting car-jacked in London now so maybe they'll stop
buying them just to drive incredibly stupidly and slowly 6 times a week: 5
to take the kids to and from the school half a mile from home and once to go
to the supermarket.

Hey man, I just keep gettin' further and further away from London. Next
week, I move from Catford, SE London to Belvedere in Kent (well, the London
Borough of Bexleyheath) which is already a significant move, if not actually
into really beautiful rural landscape. At least Brands is that much closer!

A mate of mine has something you would hate or love, I'm not sure. A
Chevrolet Suburban. This thing has to be seen to be appreciated. For the non
North Americans out there, it's the same truck you always see the US Secret
Service driving (black paint, black windows) on the news and in movies.
Except his is silver.

But he doesn't drive it like a moron. He's a cyclist, biker and once led
John Surtees (on bikes) around Goodwood. He also has 3 young daughters and a
nice pile up near the Lakes so the Chevy is eminently practical for getting
them and all their crap to Lancashire and across the farm.

Plus, this thing is superb when we do Brands Hatch. We crunch round the back
up to Dingle Dell, set up the tables and BBQ and enjoy the day like you
would not believe. Oh yeah, his family used to build/run the Gilby-Climax,
Gilby-Maserati and Gilby-BRM GP cars so he's also been around that scene for
a while.

Finally, the best thing. I mean the absolute orgasmic thing about this
SU/truck/whatever is that, on the motorway, you can look DOWN on the all the
wannabe posh gets in their Range Rovers as you steam past, miniDisc playing
Santana, cruise control on 80 and air-con keeping you nice and relaxed. They
absolutely HATE to be looked down on. The vehicle is worth having just for
that and when he finally sells it, I might try and buy it off him. I could
put my kart in the back and it would disappear.

nk

Nick Koleszar   koleszar@domain.elided
1971 Alfa Romeo Giulia Super 2.0
1990 Alfa Romeo 75 3.0 QV