UNIX = no go

In a message dated 02/20/2002 2:02:22 PM Pacific Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Yah, with UNIX it would never crash but you would have to get a four year
> degree to figure out how to start the car. Once you figured out how to
> start
> it you would spend another year writing scripts to cut the start time from
> 1
> hour down to 15 minutes.

If you made a mistake and switched on the lights before depressing the
clutch, or turned on the radio while in 3rd, or some other sin.you would
never dream existed, or even if you looked out the side window when you
weren't supposed to, UNIX would crash and burn and you would be dead in the
water and have to hire an expensive consultant (probably in FL) to work it
out for a week and get it running again, and you would have to be expert on
cats (not converters) and pipes (not tail) and memorize tremendously long and
arcane strings of meaningless letters and punctuation in order to do anything
at all, even turn the damn thing off.

There is a Berkeley kernel of truth in there somewhere!
I used to have to run a whole office on UNIX and now, even years later, I
still get hives just thinking about that nightmare!  It was supposed to be
great, I guess, for compiling the whole telephone directory, but lit was
lousy for addressing a single envelope, so I suppose it would be great
managing a huge auto factory but a disaster running a single car.

Charlie
LA, CA, USA
No pickups, no Happy Meals, no SUVs, and NO UNIX!!!