crystal ball

Re: the thread of the future of gasoline-powered cars as collectible antiques
and future fuels, I put on my turban and gazed into my crystal ball...

First of all, even when it is no longer the most popular fuel for autos,
gasoline will still be available for many decades, eventually only in
specialty shops like Dean & Delucca, and at a premium price, but the gas
itself will not become collectible because it is perishable; therefore
"fresh" or late-vintage gas will be the most costly and "day-old" gas will
sell at a discount in the back of the store.  You will be able to invest in
gas futures contracts and speculate in gas contract derivatives.  The quality
or potency of the gas will be rated in RON, and the worst will be rated
EN-RON.

At the same time, great advances will be made in photovoltaics, which will
make it possible to separate the O from the H in seawater very cheaply using
electricity with a vanishingly small fuel cost.  People will use the O to get
high, the H in hydrogen-cycle fuel engines that will be the most popular as
they will be cheap and nonpolluting, and the salts that will be scraped up as
a result of the process will be sold to snack foods makers and more salty
treats will be produced to go with the O-generated buzz that will be very
popular.  I therefore would suggest investing now in beverage stocks.

Other than dodging drivers compromised by inhaling extra O2 from tanks they
carry around like Dennis Hopper and crazed by high blood pressure, none of
this will affect our beloved antique Alfas.

Charlie
LA, CA, USA
City of the Future