Re: Brit DIY & Stupidity

I go most of the way with Will who says <Nice analysis, but I think a wrong
one. You're
forgetting that yer average car-loving Englishman is
the original Mr. DIY.>

There have always been cars such as the Austin 7 and so-called cycle cars such
as the GN in the 20s and 30s which the less well off could aspire to, though
it has to be admitted that the motorcycle and side car was more likely to be
the family transport for reasonably off working class families. The problem
post WW2 was an excess of demand over supply from our drained and worn out
industry. My Dad went to the Motor Show at Earls Court and ordered an Austin
A35 from the man on the Austin stand no less in the year it was launched (
1954/55??)  He never got it as they could sell all they made at about a third
above list price, and of course we still had a bit of Empire left to export to
at whatever price we chose in effect !

As for DIY...well yes I confess I got up at 7a.m. this morning on a day off,
had a cup of tea, and changed the water pump/power steering belt on the 164TS
before breakfast. It took about 40 minutes. My neighbour is a retired engineer
who has rebuilt a Daimler V8 250 (Think Jag Mk2 shape with Daimler engine) to
concours condition. My wifes chief technician at work drives a 1960 Austin A
35 Van when he gets fed up with his LandRover Discovery. There's certainly a
lot of DIY about in the UK, and a small but significant minority prepared to
spend vast amounts restoring cars that will never be worth the cost of the
restoration, but then we try and tolerate harmless eccentrics. I have an
aquaintance who cleans the wire wheels of his Aston DB5 convertible in the
family dishwasher. My late eldest brother was not a happy man unless there
were at least two Peugeot 403s gently rusting in his back garden...to enable
him to keep the third one running of course!

As for stupidity...Well I didn't tighten the oil filter up enough just over a
years ago, and pumped the entire sump of new oil onto my driveway.......And
this very day about two hours ago my wifes Skoda 'broke down'. After the
briefest of inspections I explained to her the principle of putting petroleum
spirit in the fuel tank of an internal combustion engine as a necessary
prerequisite of forward motion on a level surface.......I have been promised
'something nice' for dinner tonight for not losing my temper.

Tim Hancock  164TS Lusso    Boston UK     ( As the owner of a Red Alfa..does
it get redder to observers in front as the red shift takes effect as you
accelerate at vast speeds towards them, and would it look bluer to those left
behind)