Mexico update

San Blas MEXICO

Hello, alfisti.  Just taking a little breather down in ol' Mexico.  San Blas
is a great little town -- lotsa sun & whale watching!

A few weeks ago there was some speculation that Alfa was about to return to
Mexico.  A Mexican friend told me that he remembers Alfas in Mexico City and
Guadalajara back in the 70s.  In any case, I have yet to see an Alfa of any
kind south of the border.  But I did see a late 60s/early 70s Fiat sedan in
Mazatlan with British Columbia plates.  Talk about brave...

A few days ago I spoke to a man from Guadalajara who brought his family to the
beach in a Peugeot 206, a really good-looking subcompact if I've ever seen
one.  He said it wasn't especially powerful -- about 110 horsepower -- but
made up for it with excellent handling and comfort.  I've also seen a Peugeot
406 sedan (but noot the Coupe, which they do sell here).  The 406 is also a
fine-looking car, a real breath of fresh air to someone sick & tired of all
the imports and BMWs in the SF Bay Area.  With any luck, the Peugeots will
also make it to the US.

There are the aforementioned BMWs here in Mexico, as well as Audi and VW (no
surprise as there's a huge VW plant in Puebla).

But what really good my interest piqued were the cars from SEAT, the
Spanish-made subsidiary of VW, especially the Leon model with a 5V four-banger
engine.  Sorta looks like an even muscular Corrado, slightly flashy and
agressive-looking.  With even more luck, we'll hopefully see SEAT cars here in
the US.

Well, it doesn't look like I'll see any Alfas here, but my disappointment is
more than compensated by the beauty & poise of the Mexican seqoritas.  !Ole!

Paul cuadra@domain.elided

95 LS 5-speed
97 Moto Guzzi Sport