GTV6 question

I have a 1981 GTV6 question with a very irritating problem that seems to
have been getting worse. When I try to start the car after is has been
sitting for some time, if I don't get it to crank on the first try, it will
not start up at al. I have been told that it sounds like it may be the cold
start solenoid, and that all I am doing when I keep trying to start it, is
just flood the engine with gas , possibly destroying my rings in the process
(eventually). If this is so, where is the cold start solenoid and how does
it work? Once the car has been started up, it runs great. HELP!!
I look forward to the words of wisdom from the digest.
Thanks,
Pat Crawford
Dallas